Monday, June 6, 2016

Ikea Mammut Stool Hack




One of the top selling points of our house was the master "walk-in" closet... I say "walk-in" because it is still pretty small, but after years of apartment and college house living, I was thrilled with a closet that was actually big enough to fit my body inside - ah luxury!

The closet came equipped with some great built-ins as well as two lovely shelves that line the walls - great for shoes.  However, whoever designed this closet in 1963 made these lovely shoe shelves way too tall for this short gal to reach. I needed a little stool ASAP so I could stop climbing onto the opened drawers.  It needed to be teeny-tiny, but it also needed to have style. Oh, and it needed to be cheap, as hello, this is just a closet!


I frequently browser Ikea's website - I came across the MAMMUT series and decided that the little pink stool  would be the perfect jumping off point for my project.


Via 



I also have a plethora of Ikea's RENS sheepskins that my mom brought back from a recent trip to the Dallas store. When they make these available for purchase online, I will personally write a thank you note! 


 I decided that a combo of these two pieces would make one darling little step stool.  Below, is my step-by-step tutorial for what came next:

STEP 1
assemble materials:
  • MAMMUT stool 
  • RENS sheepskin
  • staple gun & staples 
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun 



STEP2
  • Place the stool top face down on top of the sheepskin
  • Trace around the stool with sharpie.
  • Cut out your circle with scissors
  • You will have a few pieces of sheep leftover... keep this, we will use it later!


STEP 3
  • Using your staple gun, carefully attach two sides of the hide to the underside of the stool top.




STEP 4
  • Stuff your leftover hide scraps underneath the big hide layer - this will create a little extra cushion.
  • Fold the remaining two sides of hide over and staple onto the underside of stool - make sure you pull tightly.
  • Once tacked down, go back and add staples along the entire edge the stool. 
pic




STEP 5
  • Attach the plastic legs. 
  • Hot glue the raw edges down so they stop fraying. 
 



STEP 6
  • Flip over and enjoy your new little stool! 

This whole project took less than 30 minutes, and cost less than $30 - a small victory if I do say so myself.  The stool comes in a variety of colors - wouldn't white-on-white be cute for a nursery or bathroom? 




Xx
Ivy 









SaveSaveSaveSave

1 comment: