Friday, May 13, 2016

Pure Michigan

I am SO excited to share this new project with you all!  My parents (ever the adventurous duo) have recently embarked on a new-build condo project in Traverse City, MI.  They currently live outside of Detroit, and TC is just a hop skip and a jump away - only a short plane-ride for me - and perfect for weekend getaways! 

I credit a lot of my interest in the design world to my parents, who have always placed great importance on hiring a professional designer.  Both my mom and step-dad have fabulous taste, and I was shocked beyond belief when they decided to turn the reins over to me on this project! I've been scheming up plans for the space ever since they told me about it last Spring, and this past weekend I finally had the chance to see the job site in person.  

Mamasita and I - you can see their condos in the background and the beautiful inland lake they are situated on.  Northern Michigan is chalk-full of these little lakes - this one is called Boardman Lake and is just a short walk/bike ride/kayak trip into town and the Grand Traverse Bay.  

Sailing lessons in your backyard? Why not! I can't wait for many summers up here filled with all kinds of fun outdoor activities! 

Our main focus on this trip was to select finishes from the options provided by the builder. Typically, I am the one providing the various finish options to clients, so it was nice to have it all laid out and presented to me for a change! Very quick process - we made all of our decisions within about 30 minutes.  

The first order of business was to select the hardwoods. My parents liked the light wood, but they've been-there-done-that in a previous house.  I exercised my veto rights and selected this dark gray/brown instead. 

We'll use the wood throughout the ground floor and on the lower floor/basement we selected a steely gray looped carpet.  

Next, we selected the cabinet finish - I went into the situation knowing I wanted a light gray, so this one was perfect! We will use this color in all bathrooms as well as the kitchen.  

We selected this Cielo de Marfil granite for  the kitchen island and countertops.  It's durability was the main selling point, as my parents are big entertainers and didn't want something that would stain easily (we're talking to you, marble!).  I also wanted a light, casual look so the white color was a bonus for me! 

We're using the middle glass subway tile for backsplash in the kitchen for just a tiny bit of contrast.  My parents style is fairly contemporary, and we are going for a midcentury-modern twist with this house, which I know I'm going to have a ton of fun with! 

A round-up of all the finishes selected, including the brushed nickel cabinet pulls.  We ended up choosing the larger-scale wallpaper by Cole & Sons for their powder bath - I'm dying to see this installed - I think it will make a huge impact! 

The mamasita surveying her new view of the lake.  

Upstairs living and dining - open plan for maximum natural light! 

Downstairs living - the kids' quarters.

One more, looking through the living/dining and towards the master bedroom.  I can't wait to see how this all pulls together - right now we are projected to be finished by September, but we shall see how that goes.  Stay tuned for more posts on furniture selections, inspiration and more! 

Xx
Ivy 



No comments:

Post a Comment