Friday, February 26, 2016

H O W - T O : Shop Estate Sales Like a Pro


Last night I went to the mother of all estate sales - a ladies only night sale at the home of a woman who had recently moved to California and left behind enough clothing, shoes, and handbags to clothe the entire state of Oklahoma. I'm not kidding, this lady knows how to shop! I looked around the 100+ women who were pushing and shoving to get closer to the racks of clothing, and I only saw about 3 or 4 girls my own age - a travesty if you ask me! My friends are constantly asking how I find all of my vintage treasures, and in truth, some of my best decor finds (and steals) have come from estate sales. Case in point:

  • The array of matchbooks pictured above were being sold in bags of 10 for $5... I went back the next day and cleaned them out. I spent an afternoon going through each one and wondering how on earth their previous owner managed to travel to all of these places!
  • I bought a classic french fauteuil at the estate of a local boutique owner for $45!! I Promise to do a post on the significance of this little chair later.
  • Classic 1960s gold bamboo flatware - the holy grail of silverware - purchased literally 2 blocks from my house for $35! This was a drive-by sale... proof that sometime you just have to hit the ground running to find the best deals!

  • White fox-fur stole - again, another estate sale find for… wait for it… $10. Had to!
  • I also make sure to stalk the jewelry section... I've found some fabulous vintage earrings this way!


My mom and grandmother have taken me to estate sales and auctions since I was a little girl, so you could say I’ve had a lifetime of experience. This is also how I came to be a "trinket hoarder” - I say it is my job to stock pile accessories! I want to share few little tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years:


  • Do your research
    • Many estate sale companies have email lists - sign up for as many of these as you can! I find these sales are much better than those listed in the classifieds.  
    • Ask local antique shop owners if they know of an estate sale company in town.  This is a very friendly community and most dealers are happy to help out newbies!
    • Take a look at the photos of a sale before you go - The photos can give you a hint of what lies in store for you.  If you see a lot of valuable pieces, this is a good clue that it will be crowded!
  • Arrive Early
    • I typically try to get to a sale about an hour early. There is almost always a line, and this is also a nice way to meet people - bring donuts to share, and you will be everyone’s hero!
    • I once arrived at 6:30am for a 9am sale (had my eye on a vintage chanel purse), only to find a 30-person line! The first woman in line had been there since 4:30am, and she went home with the handbag… well deserved I think!
  • Make Friends
    • Enlist a pal to go along with you! It is always more fun to shop with a friend! Bonus points if you don’t fight over the vintage foo dog bookends.
    • Strike up conversation with the other shoppers… odds are you will see them again at another sale.  More experienced antiquers have often led me to another sale the same day that I did not know about!
    • Don’t be that girl who pushes someone out of her way to get to the mink bolero… nobody likes that girl, and you will quickly earn a bad rep in the estate sale crowd!
  • Dress Accordingly
    • Dress warmly if it is winter time, as you will be waiting outside!
    • Bring a large tote or shopper for your purchases! 
    • Comfortable shoes… you never know if the sale will have the patio furniture of your dreams!
  • Play The Waiting Game
    • Most sales have half-off Sundays! If you are hesitating to pull the trigger on a pricier purchase, wait until Sunday.  If it is still available (and half the price), you know it was meant to be!
    • Treat yourself to a celebratory glass of champagne and congratulate yourself on that self-control and savvy shopping!

      I hope these little tips and tricks will inspire you to hit the pavement this weekend!

Happy Hunting!!
Xx
Ivy

4 comments:

  1. I love these tips! I've always wanted to go to Estate Sales but am intimidated by them!

    -Kara
    www.everydayk.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go to estate sales but have never been. Definitely going to have to come back to your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody Kerr has some of he best in Oklahoma City! Definitely sign up for her emails!
      https://www.facebook.com/JodyKerrEstateSales/

      Delete